Super delicious, nutritious and Easy Barley and Prawns Salad. Because salads do not need to be boring! It is so simple and has such a nice flavour with the lemon, garlic and paprika hints. On top of this, it honours a springy ingredient: peas! I can understand they might be boring on their own, but here they bring a delicious crunchy bite. And to round it all up a bit of feta, which melts when mixed with the warm prawns.
People tend to have something against salads, and I can understand it when one thinks of just lettuce leaves, some drops of olive oil and vinegar. However… Salads can be pretty interesting in many ways: from taste and ingredients to colour and texture. I love to combine different things to make the most appealing salads, and you know what? They can save you a lot of meals.
This one for example is also great for batch-cooking! Make a large quantity of prawns and also prepare extra barley and you can turn them into various things throughout the week (a barley bake, pasta with prawns… you name it).
- Barley. Barley can be substituted with rice, wildrice or another cereal of your preference.
- Prawns. If you are not into seafood, you can easily swap the prawns with chicken breast bites.
Tips and Tricks to Get the Perfect Prawns Salad
Which Prawns, Fresh or Frozen?
You can use any. I always have some frozen ones in the freezer for those days when my fridge is empty. Frozen can sometimes be cheaper as well.
If you use frozen, just make sure to thaw them first. Take them out of the freezer and into the fridge the night before. Alternatively, if you forgot to thaw them in advance, you can put them in a bowl with water. This will speed up the process.
How Can I Get Crispy Prawns?
Firstly, make sure you dry the prawns thoroughly. Pad dry them with paper towel to remove as much excess moisture from the prawn so that they can brown nicely without overcooking in excess water.
Secondly, do not overcrowd the pan when cooking them. Cook in batches if necessary.
Looking for One-Meal Salad Recipes?
If you love salads as much as I do or you think salads are boring, give these other recipes a try!
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Spinach Strawberry and Feta Salad with Lentils
- Crispy Chicken and Bacon Salad with Basil Tahini Dressing
If you make this Easy Barley and Prawns Salad, be sure to leave a comment and rate it. Hearing from you is everything! Oh, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Easy Barley and Prawns Salad
- 240 g Barley - rinsed
- 200 g Peas - fresh or frozen
- ½ Lemon - finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves - peeled and minced
- ¾ tsp Paprika
- 1 or 2 Bird eye chilli
- 330 g Prawns - peeled and deveined (thawed weight if using frozen)
- 75 g Feta cheese
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- In a medium saucepan bring some water to a boil. Add some salt and the barley. After 20 minutes, add the peas and cook for 10 more minutes. Drain.
- In the meantime, prepare the prawns. In a large pan, heat some olive oil. Sautée the lemon for 1 to 2 min until golden stirring at all times. Set aside. Add the garlic, chilli and paprika. Cook for 30 seconds and add the prawns with a pinch of salt – do not overcrowd the pan if you want a good sear (work in batches if necessary). Cook them for 1-2 minutes per side. Add the lemon back to the pan and stir in the barley and peas so they collect all the juices.
- Serve on a bowl with the feta crumbled on top while it's still warm and some freshly cracked black pepper.
- You can substitute the barley with white or brown rice, wild rice or any other cereal of your preference.
- Instead of prawns you can easily use chicken.