The Mediterranean Spiced Chicken Wraps with Cream Cheese Sauce is finally here! Chicken breasts deliciously marinated with Mediterranean herbs and a spicy and smoky touch. Then, the cream cheese situation sauce is just amazing! It pairs so well with the bread and chicken, and it also makes a great dip and even a salad dressing! You can eat this like a wrap or like a pita. What else can we ask for to keep chicken interesting?
You know how much I love to keep chicken flavourful and juicy, trying to move away from always eating it plain, which turns out pretty boring. This is another recipe to add to your chicken repertoire and I can guarantee you that it will keep lunch or dinner fun throughout the week.
Some Details on this Mediterranean Spiced Chicken Wraps with Cream Cheese Sauce
The chicken recipe idea came about after finally considering my Turkish Flatbread (Bazlama) recipe completed. Even if this bread is great on its own, I wanted to use it in a substantial meal. Since it’s summer, I then thought that a grill-friendly recipe would be a really good idea and that’s how the Mediterranean Spiced Chicken was born. The cool thing about using Bazlama is that you can use it as a wrap or pita since it’s hollow on the inside!
But… what is bread and chicken without a good sauce? The cream cheese sauce is the secret extra special touch to these wraps/pitas/sandwiches. It’s just cream cheese whipped together with lemon and yoghurt until it gets nice and creamy, but it pairs so well. The origin? I had some leftover cream cheese from having made a cheesecake, the rest is history.
Finally, the recipe calls for some lettuce as it adds a delicious crunchy touch for some texture contrast. Since the spiced chicken and cream cheese sauce is already very flavourful, nothing extra is really needed (maybe some seasonal tomato slices if you wish, but that’d be about it in my opinion).
It’s just perfect. Simple ingredients, GOOD flavours, and just the right amount of textures with double the amount of sauce.
Tips & Tricks for the Best Mediterranean Spiced Chicken
- Chicken thighs would also work really great in this recipe. Feel free to use them if you have them on hand instead. You will just need to adjust the cooking time.
- You can also make chicken skewers if you wish. Just thread the chicken into skewers, cook it and serve with the same ingredients.
- If you have the oven on, you can also roast the chicken, but you could easily grill and shred it too – especially if the weather is nice. That would be delicious!
- The cream cheese sauce thickens over time, just whisk it again and back to the original consistency.
- My feta sauce would be a perfect pairing as well if you happen to have feta and not cream cheese. And if you don’t have cream cheese but do have yoghurt, then just make a yoghurt sauce by removing the cream cheese from the equation and increasing the amount of yoghurt in the recipe.
What Else to Eat with the Cream Cheese Sauce?
- My Fluffy Broccoli Pancakes, swap the avocado cream with this sauce.
- Anything potatoes: boiled, chips, crisps… You name it!
- As a salad dressing.
- As a dip in a good appetizer board.
More Flavourful Easy Mediterranean Recipes?
To wrap up, this Mediterranean Spiced Chicken Wraps with Cream Cheese Sauce recipe is SOOOOO GOOD. Sorry for the caps, but really want to show my excitement for these today! Beyond good and great for the hot weeks ahead, since this is basically stuffed wrap/pitta/sandwich with a yummy chicken salad.
If you make this Mediterranean Spiced Chicken Wraps with Cream Cheese Sauce recipe, be sure to leave a comment and rate it. Hearing from you is everything! Oh, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Mediterranean Spiced Chicken Wraps with Cream Cheese Sauce
- 780 g chicken breasts - 3 large breasts, cut into 2.5cm pieces (see Notes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil + extra for cooking
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ginger - grated (no need to peel it)
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp dried basil
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
Cream cheese sauce
- 135 g cream cheese
- 115 g Greek yoghurt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 8 pieces flatbread - Bazlama, Pita, Naan
- 6 Romain lettuce leaves - roughly chopped
- 1 handful parsley - roughly chopped
Marinade the Chicken
- Mix all the marinade ingredients with the chicken in a bowl or tupperware.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2h and up to half a day.
Cream Cheese Sauce
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the sauce. Blend the cream cheese with the yoghurt, lemon juice, salt and black pepper until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Cook the Chicken
- Heat a skillet over medium-high. Once hot, add some olive oil and cook the chicken pieces, flipping them occasionally so they cook evenly. Do not overcrowd the pan, cook in batches if necessary.
- Place the chicken on a serving dish with a side of flatbreads, the cream cheese sauce in a bowl, some chopped lettuce and parsley so people can assemble it as they prefer.
- Thighs tend to be more tender than breasts, but both work great! Use what you have on hand.
- You can thread the chicken into skewers and make chicken skewers with this same recipe.
- The cream cheese sauce thickens over time. Whisk it again to go back to the original consistency.