These Crunchy No-Bake Cornflakes and Nut Butter Bars are so good and yes, you guessed it, so easy to put together! They are made with just 5 ingredientes and, what’s more, they are naturally gluten free and vegan. They are gooey, crunchy and sticky all at once, the perfect treat for anybody who’s craving a heatlhy-ish snack or is in need of an energy boost.
These bars were born because my partner has started to go cycling very regularly and I thought that if he needed some energy bars while cycling, he’d better have them homemade. They were a pure success, all of his crew loved them (if you follow me on insta you probably saw they sent me pictures and videos!). So if you are in a similar situation, look no further, I am sure you’ll fall in love with these cornflakes and nut butter bars as well. And if you are not into sports and what you are after is a healthy-ish treat, these bars are here for you too.
Why Make these Nut Butter Bars?
- To start with they are delicious! But, let me go straight to the point I wanted to share… The truth is that with these bars you will actually know what you are putting inside your body. Sometimes we need an energy booster if we are planning to do some sport. Or we simply want a good snack that has the category of a treat. With these bars both things are full-filled!
- Store-bough bars often contain an endless list of “weird” ingredients which don’t tend to be the best stuff for our bodies. These Cornflakes and Nut Butter Bars have wholesome ingredients easily available in any grocery store: maple syrup, nut butter (I used cashew but you can use your favourite), cornflakes and chocolate (and you can go a bit further with adding salt and vanilla extract). It sounds good right?
- Besides, we tend to buy bars though because we may think that making them at home can be complicated and take too much time. These cornflake bars will prove you wrong! They take about 5 minutes to put together, the extra time is because they need some chill time for the chocolate to set (you will see that the difficult part will be being patient!).
- Last but not least, they do not require any baking, which makes them doable all year round (no oven heat during summer needed) .
Cornflake Nut Butter Bars Ingredients
- Corn Flakes. The obvious first ingredient is corn flakes. If you are gluten intolerant or celiac, or just follow a gluten-free diet ensure you use cornflakes which are gluten-free.
- Nut Butter. Cashew butter has a milder flavour than other nut butters, which allows the vanilla, maple and chocolate flavours to shine. However, feel free to use your favourite nut butter or whichever you have on hand. I used a homemade creamy version but there are also good nut butter options out there, like Meridian. I leave you here as well the link to my Homemade Almond Butter, which would work great in this recipe!
- Maple Syrup. The maple syrup provides the sweet touch needed for a good energy kick and it’s also what provides stickiness to the bars. I always use pure maple syrup.
Storing These Cornflakes and Nut Butter Bars
Once you slice the bars, transfer them to airtight containers. I highly recommend placing a sheet of parchment paper in between layers to prevent them from sticking together.
They can be kept at room temperature too. However, for firmer bars, keep refrigerated.
They also freeze very well. You can freeze the portions well separated and thaw in the fridge overnight the one you’ll take with you on the next day or thaw at room temperature on the same day.
Cornflake bars stored in the fridge will keep well for up to 2 weeks and keep well frozen for up to 2 months.
Note that the salt in the fridge can get watery, so don’t worry if you see tiny drops where you had salt the day before. That’s expected. Also, bear in mind that these bars are less crunchy over time.
More Healthy Snack Ideas for the Week
If you make this Crunchy No-Bake Cornflakes and Nut Butter Bars recipe, be sure to leave a comment and rate it. Hearing from you is everything! Oh, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Crunchy No-Bake Cornflakes and Nut Butter Bars
- 400 g cashew butter - see notes
- 180 ml maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 200 g cornflakes
- 200 g chocolate - plus extra to drizzle, optional
- flaky sea salt - optional
- Line a 23x33cm tray with parchment paper.
- Place the cashew butter and maple syrup in a sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until well combined and slightly runny. Add the vanilla and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the cornflakes with the nut butter and maple syrup mixture. Make sure the cornflakes get well coated.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tray. Press it firmly with lightly wet hands and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until firm (you can also freeze it for 15min). Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate.
- Cover the cornflakes mixture with the chocolate, freeze for 10 minutes or until the chocolate is set. Optionally, drizzle more chocolate all over it with a teaspoon.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired and cut into bars: 2 cuts along the longer side, 4 cuts along the shorter side. Enjoy!
- These bars can be kept at room temperature. For firmer bars, keep refrigerated.
- They also freeze very well. You can freeze the portions well separated and thaw in the fridge overnight the one you’ll take with you on the next day.
- You can substitute the cashew butter with your favourite nut butter.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @paulasapron on Instagram and hashtag it #paulasapron.
Estan espectaculars aquestes! I molt energètiques, a casa en donem fe 🙂
Thanks for making these!! A great snack or to give us that push when we are exercising!! // Gràcies Marta! Un snack perfecte o per un bon push si anem en bici ;P